Ahead of the Indian Premier League 2017, franchises have released some of the big players from their squads. These players include Kevin Pietersen, Eoin Morgan, Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel among others as reported by mid-day. According to a report published in Mid Day, as many as 40 players have been released by IPL franchises from their squads. Every year, many players are sold in the auction room ahead of the season and franchises spend a lot of money to get their combination right. But, also, some of the players are released from the squad ahead of the season. Some of the common reasons are injuries, change un coaching staff or bad performance of the players over a period of time.
Here is the list of players released by IPL franchise this year:
- Pawan Negi, who was the surprise selection of the last year’s auction, has been released by Delhi Daredevils this year. Negi didn’t contribute much in the last season.
- Pune Warriors, led by MS Dhoni, have released Ishant Sharma, Irfan Pathan and Murugan Ashwin to go.
- Kolkata Knight Riders have released John Hastings (Australia), Colin Munro (New Zealand) and Morne Morkel (South Africa).
- Gujarat Lions have released South Africa’s speedster Dale Steyn along with a bunch of local players.
- Reportedly, Mumbai Indians and Royal Challengers Bangalore have not released any information related to this.