ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 is around the corner and when the tournament is as big as the World Cup, stats become more important. Here are 11 World Cup 2015 stats that every cricket lover should know:
1) Pakistan’s swashbuckling all-rounder Shahid Afridi has never scored a fifty in ICC World Cup Cricket history.
2) Most number of players against a single team: Scott Styris, Sachin Tendulkar and Adam Gilchrist have scored 300+ runs each against Sri Lanka.
3) MS Dhoni has 17 dismissals in World Cup cricket. He just needs two more dismissals become India’s most successful wicket-keeper in World Cup cricket.
4) Lasith Malinga will enter World Cup 2015 as the highest wicket taker in World Cup cricket among current players.
5) If Mahela Jayawardene takes 4 more catches, he will be number two on the list of most number catches in World Cup cricket, with 19 catches. Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting has taken the most number of catches (28 catches) in World Cup cricket.
6) South Africa’s captain AB de Villiers has 4 ducks in 15 World Cup matches. If he gets 1 more ducks he will be the joint-highest with five.
7) Sri Lanka’s Kumar Sangakkara will be the highest run scorer in World Cup matches among the players who will feature in this World Cup.
8) Sri Lanka have never beaten Pakistan in World Cup. Pakistan have never beaten India. India have never beaten South Africa. And South Africa have never won the World Cup.
9) Shahid Afridi has announced that he will retire after the World Cup 2015. Afridi needs only 52 runs and seven wickets to become the first player in ODIs to complete 8000 runs and 400 wickets.
10) Michael Clarke has the highest batting average among the players in World Cup 2015. Clarke averages 83.62 in World Cup cricket.
11) South Africa are yet to win a World Cup knockout game.
By Aniket Arora