India is the land of records, cricketing records to be more specific. There is something in the air about this land which catapults its cricketers to achieve frenzy new heights.
Here we look at a list of 10 such records held by Indians in One Day International Cricket:
1) Most Runs In A Calendar Year
Sachin Tendulkar -1998-1894 runs. The Master Blaster was at his prime in that year. Remember the “Sachin Storm” in Sharjah?
2) Highest Partnership Runs In Their Career
SC Ganguly & S Tendulkar – 8227 runs. The legendary opening pair from India has together amassed the highest partnership runs in their career. The “Jai-Veeru” pair of Indian cricket will linger in the minds of cricket lovers for a long time to come.
3) Most Consecutive Matches
185. Sachin Tendulkar. 25th April 1990 – 24th April 1998. The legendary Sunil Gavaskar has played less matches in his whole career (108) and so has Ian Botham (116).
4) Most Player Of The Match (Man Of The Match) Awards
Sachin Tendulkar – 62. If you have the most number of centuries in ODI cricket, more often than not you are going to be adjudged the man of the match. (Taking nothing away from Sachin. God forbid!)
5) Most Catches In A Series
12. VVS Laxman. VB Series (Australia,India,Zimbabwe in Australia) 2003/04 –The very very special man has an even more special record of having held the most number of catches in a series. Anyone said Laxman was not a good fielder? Anyone?
6) Longest Career
Sachin Tendulkar – 22 years 91 days – From 18th December 1989 to 18th March 2012: The Superman from India (we are running out of superlatives now) has undoubtedly had the longest career in the game. Salute to the Master for his undying passion!
7) Most Wicket-Keeping Dismissals In An Innings
6. MS Dhoni (joint record) vs England in Leeds. 2nd September 2007: “Captain Cool” has a cool record too. It is shared with the likes of Gilchrist, Boucher and Stewart.
8) Most Runs In An Innings By A Captain
Virender Sehwag 219. India vs West Indies, Indore. 8th December 2011: Unusual we know. But the “Nawab of Najafgarh” carries responsibly well. He celebrated it with a double century. Beat that.
9) Most Career Runs
Sachin Tendulkar – 18,426 runs. “The Run Machine” from India. Need we say more?
10) Most Runs In An Innings
Rohit Sharma – 264 runs vs Sri Lanka at the Eden Gardens. Again we remind you that it was not the team score, but his individual score.