Team India broke the “3-0” jinx and registered their first win against South Africa in ICC Cricket World Cup. The entire build-up to this match was about whether India can change the history by defeating South Africa. India, not only defeated South Africa, they won the match by a huge margin and registered biggest victory (in terms of runs) in ODI cricket in Australia. It was a very clinical performance by Team India, as they outplayed South Africa in all three departments of the game. Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has now been involved in a 300+ total in ODIs 53 times, overtaking Sachin Tendulkar (52), who was the previous highest.
– 6th consecutive victory in World Cups
This was India’s 6th consecutive victor in World Cups. This is India’s second highest winning streak in World Cup, so far. Their highest winning streak is 8 matches.
– Shikhar Dhawan’s century was India’s 22nd century in World Cups
Shikhar Dhawan played one of the best innings of his life. Dhawan’s century was India’s 22nd century in World Cups. Only Australia (23) have more hundreds than India in World Cups.
– Shikhar Dhawan now holds the record for highest individual score against South Africa in a World Cup match
Shikhar Dhawan’s knock of 137 is now the highest score against South Africa in a World Cup match. Previously, this record was held by New Zealand’s Stephen Fleming.
– Shikhar Dhawan is India’s “lucky-charm”
Shikhar Dhawan has scored 7 centutries in ODI cricket, and India have never lost on any of these 7 occasions.
– Wayne Parnell: worst bowling figures by a South African bowler in World Cup history
Wayne Parnell conceded 85 runs from his 9 overs, which is the most by a South African in World Cup history.
– Biggest margin (in terms of runs) in ODIs in Australia
India’s victory by a huge margin of 130 runs is their biggest in terms of runs against any team in ODIs in Australia.
By Aniket Arora