India cruised to their fifth consecutive victory in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015, defeating Ireland by 8 wickets. India’s opener Shikhar Dhawan carried on his good form in the tournament and scored his second hundred in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015. Dhawan was declared man of the match for his 85-ball hundred.
Here are the stats of the match:
1) India’s captain MS Dhoni now holds the record for captaining India in the most number of One Day International matches (ODIs). The pool game against Ireland was Dhoni’s 175th ODI as India’s captain. Dhoni overtook Mohammad Azharuddin, who captained India in 174 ODIs.
2) Finding the right opening combination was one of India’s biggest worry before the start of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015. But, the dynamic opening pair of Shikhar Dhawan and Rohit Sharma cleared all the doubts with a 174-run partnership for the first wicket. This is now the highest opening stand for India in their World Cup history.
3) Rohit Sharma became the 8th fastest Indian batsman to score 4000 runs in ODI cricket. Rohit Sharma took 126 innings to reach the 4000-run mark.
4) MS Dhoni also went past Sourav Ganguly’s record of most consecutive wins in World Cup cricket. With nine consecutive wins, MS Dhoni has now gone past Sourav Ganguly’s 8-match winning streak in World Cup cricket.
5) Shikhar Dhawan scored his 8th ODI century in this match. With this century, Dhawan became the second fastest batsman to reach eight ODI centuries. Dhawan reached the mark in his 57th innings. South Africa’s Hashim Amla tops the list having achieved the feat in only 43 innings.
India have already qualified for the quarter finals of the ICC Cricket World Cup and they will play Zimbabwe in their last pool game.
By Aniket Arora