The Indian Premier League (IPL) is the most extravagant domestic T20 leagues in the world. With its eighth edition all but around the corner, we have a look at 10 facts about the IPL that the fans must know:
1) With 3325 runs, Chennai Super Kings’ (CSK) Suresh Raina is the leading run scorer in IPL overall. Raina is also the most capped in IPL’s history.
2) The 2011 edition of the Indian Premier League, consisted of ten teams in all, the most in IPL history.
3) Deccan Chargers (2008 champions), Pune Warriors India and Kochi Tuskers India are the three teams who are defunct and won’t compete in IPL 8.
4) Chennai Super Kings (CSK) (2010,2011) and Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) (2012, 2014) are locked on the most number of title wins. These two franchises have won the IPL trophy twice.
5) Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians have the most heated rivalry in IPL, with both teams having a 10-10 win-lose record over the years.
6) Royal Challengers Bangalore’s (RCB) Chris Gayle’s amazing unbeaten 175 against Pune in 2013 is the highest score by a batsman till date.
7) Chris Gayle also tops the six hitting chart with 192 hits over the fence.
8) With 119 wickets, Mumbai Indians’ Lasith Malinga is the leading wicket taker in IPL overall.
9) Sohail Tanvir’s 6 for 14 against Chennai Super Kings in 2008, remains the best ever bowling performance. Tanvir’s best bowling performance came in the inaugural season of the Indian Premier League (IPL), when the Pakistani players were allowed to participate in the tournament.
10) Delhi Daredevils (DD), Kings XI Punjab (KXIP), Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) and Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) are the four teams who have not won the tournament as of yet.
By Aniket Arora