Kolkata Knight Riders’ (KKR) mystery spinner Sunil Narine might have got a clearance from the ICC but he will still have to appear for another test for his suspected illegal bowling action in Chennai, BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiya said on Wednesday.
“I’ve spoken to them (KKR management), he has to appear for the test again. Be it once or twice,” Dalmiya told reporters on the sidelines of Cricket Association of Bengal’s felicitation programme of the 1989-90 Ranji Trophy winning squad that celebrated 25 years of the triumph today.
Dalmiya confirmed that the test would be held at the Sri Ramachandra University in Chennai.
Earlier, KKR had threatened to pull out from the tournament if Sunil Narine’s action isn’t cleared by the BCCI. Narine was banned from bowling in last year’s Champions League T20 (CLT20) for his suspect bowling action.
Narine also pulled out from West Indies’ World Cup 2015 squad to work on his action. Narine worked hard on his action and got it cleared from the ICC after his bio-mechanical test in Loughborough.. However, BCCI refused to accept the ICC report and insisted that the off-spinner from Trinidad has to undergo another round of testing as KKR are apparently mulling legal route.
Sunil Narine is KKR’s main weapon, specially on the slow-low pitches at the Eden Gardens and they would be hoping that he clears the final hurdle before the start of the tournament. The eight season of the Indian Premier League (IPL8) is scheduled to start on April 8 2015, and the first game will be played between Kolkata Knigh Riders (KKR) and Mumbai Indians (MI) at the Eden Gardens.