Bangladesh’s fast bowler Mustafizur Rahman, who is just 19 years old, has set the cricketing world on fire by becoming the first bowler in the history of cricket to take 13 wickets in a 3-match One Day International (ODI) series. Mustafizur Rahman started his international career in the most glorious manner by taking a five-for in his debut match against India at the Sher-e-Bangla stadium, in front of packed house. Mustafizur Rahman followed his “dream debut” performance with another spectacular performance in the second ODI by picking 6 wickets. After this, Rahman became an overnight sensation in the world of cricket as Bangladesh beat India for the first time in an ODI series.
The Cricket Lounge’s Vaibhav Sharma lists 10 things that you must know about Bangladesh’s wonder kid.
1) Mustafizur Rahman, born in 1995, was just 3 and half years old when Bangladesh played their first ever World Cup match. Rahman is not even 20 and he has already set the cricketing world on fire by taking 13 wickets in 3 matches, in his debut series against a full-strength Indian team.
2) Mustafizur Rahman started his career as a batsman with the Tennis ball in his hometown before starting to take his bowling talents seriously.
3) Mustafizur Rahman’s elder brother Mokhlesur Rahman has been a great inspiration in his career and he has comtribute a lot in whatever Mustafizur has achieved today. Mokhlesur used to ride 40 kilometers with him on his bike every morning to take him to the training area.
4) Mustafizur Rahman made his his first-class debut for Khulna division in April 2014. His first-class debut wasn’t as glorious as his ODI debut. Mustafizur took just one wicket against Dhaka Division.
5) Mustafizur Rahman first attracted attention in an Under-17 tournament in his hometown and came to Dhaka for a trial at a fast-bowling camp at the Shere Bangla National Stadium.
6) Mustafizur Rahman’s big break came when he was included in the Bangladesh squad for the one-off T20I against Pakistan. Many people and a section of media questioned his “fast track” inclusion but Mustafizur finished with figures of 2 for 20 from four overs. He dismissed Mohammad Hafeez and Shahid Afridi in his debute T20I game.
7) Mustafizur’ Rahman’s idol is banned Pakistan fast bowler Mohammad Amir. Mustafizur said that he doesn’t care about Amir’s spot-fixing allegations and he follows him only for his bowling.
8) Mustafizur Rahman is just the second bowler after Zimbabwe’s Brian Vitori to take five or more wickets in the first two one-day matches of his career.
9) Mustafizur Rahman is the only bowler in the history of ODI cricket to take 13 wickets in a 3-match series.