Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and his wife Sakshi Singh celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary on Saturday, 4 July. The day has become even more special for them as they are celebrating it with their daughter Ziva for the first time after her birth on 6 February.
1) MS Dhoni and Sakshi Singh met at the Taj Bengal in Kolkata in November-December, 2007. Yudhajit Dutta, Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s manager and one of his closest friends, and Sakshi, who was interning at the hotel, were friends.
2) India were playing Pakistan at the Eden Gardens and staying at the Taj, and Dutta dropped in to meet MS Dhoni. Dutta also called Sakshi up and asked her to stop by. It was, coincidentally, Sakshi’s last day at the Taj Bengal, so some would say their meeting was fated.
3) MS Dhoni and Sakshi met and went their separate ways after the meeting. But, Dhoni asked Dutta for her phone number and texted her. In fact, say sources, Sakshi did not believe it was Dhoni texting her when he first did.
4) It was not an easy affair for MS Dhoni as he had to woo Sakshi for several months before they started dating in March 2008.
5) The real turning point in their relationship came when Sakshi attended MS Dhoni’s birthday bash in 2008 in Mumbai. It was a very crowded party and they did not spend time alone till Dhoni took an hour off from his friends to drop her back to a relative’s place.
6) They both didn’t get much we time before getting married. The Dhoni-Sakshi love story was one of the best-kept secret of the nation and when it was revealed, it surely took the nation on a ride.