India’s skipper Virat Kohli showcased a batting masterclass in the first innings of the ongoing fourth Test between India and England at the Wankhede stadium. Virat Kohli batted with authority and didn’t give any chance to England throughout his innings. On a wicket that has something for every bowler, Kohli batted with patience and scored his 15th Test hundred. During his innings on day 3, Virat Kohli reached many milestones and 10 of those are listed here:
10 records Virat Kohli achieved on Day 3 of the fourth Test:
1. Virat Kohli has become the third Indian captain to score 1000 runs or more in a calendar year.
2. For the first time in his career, Virat Kohli has scored 1000 runs or more in a calendar year. His previous best was 847 runs in 2014.
3. Virat Kohli has become only the fourth batsman this year to score 1000 or more runs in Test cricket. Jonny Bairstow (1369), Joe Root (1306) and Alastair Cook (1193) are the other three batsmen.
4. Virat Kohli has become the14th Indian batsman to reach the 4,000-run (or more) landmark in Test cricket.
5. After this innings, Virat Kohli’s Test average has the ’50’ mark for the first time in his career.
6. Virat Kohli has 8 Test hundreds as captain of India. Only Sunil Gavaskar (11) and Mohammad Azharuddin (9) have more Test hundreds as India’s captain.
7. Virat Kohli has joined the elite company of Sunil Gavaskar (six times), Mohinder Amarnath (twice), Rahul Dravid (twice) and Gundappa Viswanath (twice). All these legendary batsmen have scored 500 runs or more in a Test series, more than once.
8. Virat Kohli has taken only 89 innings to score 15 Test hundreds. Only Sunil Gavaskar is ahead of him in Indian cricket, in this list. Gavaskar took 77 innings for his 15 Test hundreds.
9. Virat Kohli now has 41 international hundreds to his name. Only two Indian batsmen – Sachin Tendulkar (100) and Rahul Dravid (48), have more international hundreds than Virat Kohli.
10. Virat Kohli is the 7th Indian captain to complete 2,000 runs or more in Tests.
By Vikash Sharma