Indian women cricket team’s captain Mithali Raj is one of the best batters in women cricket history. Over the years, we have seen Mithali play some of the most unbelievable innings and help India win matches. Recently, Mithali became the only cricketer in women cricket’s history to score seven consecutive matches.
In the post, The Cricket Lounge’s Divey Chawla lists 11 most amazing facts about Mithali Raj.
1) Before taking up cricket, Mithali was a classical dancer. She learnt Bharatnatyam and wanted to make a career, but, she started playing cricket and the rest, as they say, is history.
2) Mithali Raj is only the second cricketer in women crickets history to cross 5,000 ODI runs.
3) Mithali, who made her intentional debut at the age of 16 years and 250 days, is the youngest female cricketer to score a ODI hundred.
4) Mithali was very as a child. In an interview, she herself revealed that when she was a kid, cricket was nowhere on her to do this.
5) Mithali has scored many hundred but she still holds the record for scoring most 90’s. In her career so far, Mithali has scored 5 90s.
6) Mithali Raj became the captain of the Indian team in 2004. She holds the record for playing the most number matches for India as a captain.
7) Mithali Raj also received the Padma Shri Award in 2015
8) Mithali is an avid reader. Before walking out to bat against England in the first match of ICC Cricket Women’s World Cup 2017, she read a book by Jalaluddin Rumi on life essentials
9) In 2006, under Mithali’s captaincy, Indian women’s cricket team got their first Test and series win in England.
10) As a bowler, she can roll her arm over bowling leg-spinners, adding variety to her attack.