Indian cricket team’s newly appointed head coach Ravi Shastri addressed the media on Tuesday and announced his supported staff.
After Zaheer Khan and Rahul Dravid were named bowling and batting consultants respectively, Ravi Shastri requested the board to give him the men of his choice. Considering Kohli’s preference for Shastri and what happened between Kumble and Kohli, BCCI took a u-turn and appointed Ravi Shastri’s man Bharat Arun as the bowling coach of Indian cricket team.
In the press-confrence that was organised by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Shastr clarified that Zaheer Khan and Rahul Dravid’s inputs will be invaluable to the team. However, he refused to define a set role for them.
Now that Mr. Bharat Arun has finally been appointed as Team India’s bowling coach, here are some facts Indian cricket fans should know about him.
1) Bharat Arun was born in Vijaywada and started playing domestic cricket for Tamil Nadu at the age of 20.
2) A medium-pacer by trait, Bharat Arun played a big role in Tamil Nadu’s Ranji Trophy triumph in 1986-87.
3) Bharat Arun made his Test debut in the 1st Test against Sri Lanka at Kanpur on 17 December 1986.
4) Bharat Arun played cricket for Tamil Nadu till 1992, before announcing his retirement from all forms of cricket.
5) After retiring from professorial cricket, Bharat Arun took up coaching and he coached Tamil Nadu’s Ranji side from 2002 to 2006. It must be stated that Tamil Nadu cricket team witnessed drastic improvement and reached the Ranji Trophy final twice.
6) Bharat Arun also served as the bowling coach at National Cricket Academy (NCA). After that, he was given the responsibility of grooming India U19 team.
7) Bharat Arun also worked as Kings XI Punjab’s assistant coach in IPL 7.
8) He was named as the bowling coach of Team India in 2014-16, while Shastri was in-charge as team director.