Rahul Dravid is one of the most technically correct batsmen in the history of the game. In his long career, the gentleman from Karnataka played some of the most memorable knocks and earned the respect of cricket fans, not just in India but across the world.
Dravid is a great student of the game. His mannerisms, technique and love for the game is a benchmark for young, aspiring cricketers in India. Many young kids in India, and across the world, idolise Rahul Dravid.
Whenever we talk about great number 3 batsmen in Test cricket, Rahul Dravid’s name just can’t be ignored. For almost two long decades, Dravid bailed India out from tricky situations batting at number 3.
The massive army of Rahul Dravid fans would be happy to know that his elder son Samit Dravid is already playing competitive cricket and doing well. Here are some of the facts about Rahul Dravid’s son Samit.
1. In April 2016, Samit Dravid slammed 125 with 22 fours and a six in an Under-14 game, putting on 213 with Pratyush Girish, 143 not out.
2. Samit, just like his father, follows a very disciplined lifestyle. He spends a lot of time in the nets and follows a very strict and healthy diet.
3. Rahul Dravid revealed in an interview that Samit is a boy who takes interest in a lot of sports other than cricket.
“I don’t really get into trying to coach him too much. I just want him to enjoy it and just play the game, have some fun with it,” Rahul revealed. “He plays different sports at the moment which is good – they (both sons) play football and they play cricket, they swim. So that’s nice. He is too young at the moment for anything more,” Dravid told Wisden India.
4. Sri Lankan legend and arguably the greatest spinner in the history of the game, Muttiah Muralitharan said that he saw traces of Rahul Dravid’s batting in Samit.
5. Samit doesn’t get any special treatment. Rahul Dravid made it clear to his coaches and school authorities that he will only be selected on the basis of merit and no special treatment shall be offering to him. And that is credit not just to the Rahul and his wife, but also to Samit who always stays disciplined and grounded.
6. Samit, unlike his father, is a very hard hitter of the ball and he likes smashing them big. Rahul Dravid once said that he doesn’t have any problem with Samit’s style of batting as he is free to chose his own style.