The second day of the second test between Indian and Sri Lanka too remained high on records. India after losing Rahul early made full use of the wonderful batting conditions and piled up a lot of runs.
Image Source: Twitter
Pujara and Murali Vijay both got centuries and most importantly gave India a great partnership worth 209 at the top of the order. Kohli too got to his half century after he joined Pujara at the batting crease. Here’s the statistical narrative of the second day at Nagpur.
1. With an unbeaten century Cheteshwar Pujara completed 1000 runs in Tests in 2017. He’s only the second Indian to do so after 2012. Kohli achieved this feat in 2016.
2. Pujara became only the third player in 2017 to pile up more than 1000 runs in Test Cricket. The first one was South Africa’s Dean Elgar and then Karunaratne from Sri Lanka.
3. Pujara now has 4 tons in 2017 and this is equivalent to second highest this year. While Dean Elgar from South Africa has 5 which is the most, Steve Smith has 4.
4. Pujara became only the third Indian No 3 batsman to score 1000 Test runs in an year. The first two are Dilip Vengsarkar (1979) and Rahul Dravid (2002).
5. Murali Vijay with 10 tons to his kitty now has the third highest tally of Test tons as an opener for India. Only Gavaskar with 33 tons and Viru Paji with 22 centuries are ahead of him.
6. Virat consistent Kohli now has 19 fifty plus scores to his name across formats in the year 2017. He now shares the record of most fifty plus scores in an year as a captain with Rahul Dravid who had a tally of 19 in the year 2006.
7. With 3 double century partnerships Murali Vijay and Pujara pair has created a record too. This is the highest number of double century partnerships by a pair since 2013.