SA20 2023: Complete List Of Unique Rules And Playing Conditions
The much-awaited SA20 league – South Africa’s inaugural T20 tournament – Cricket South Africa's premier T20 League is all set to kickstart from \today, with MI Cape Town taking on Paarl Royals in the opening match at the iconic Newlands cricket stadium. In the inaugural edition, a total of 33 matches will be played from January 10 to February 11 in six venues.
The inaugural edition of the tournament will see six teams competing against each other. Apart from MI Cape Town and Paarl Royals, four other global franchises that are participating in the tournament are Durban Super Giants, Joburg Super Kings, Sunrisers Eastern Cape, and Pretoria Capitals. Interestingly, all 6 teams are bought by IPL owners! Yes, and that is the reason why the fans are labeling SA20 as Mini-IPL.
The tournament is set to have some unique rules. Yes, in order to endorse the innovation in the game, SA20 has announced exciting additions to its playing format. Here, in this article, we bring you all the new and unique rules of South Africa’s inaugural T20 tournament. Have a look:
- The pace of play will be protected without suspensions with captains charged with in-game penalties for slow over-rates through fielding restrictions.
- The league also made a big amendment to the free-hit rule, a bowled dismissal can't lead to byes if the ball ricochets off the stumps.
- Positive and attacking fielding will be encouraged. No runs can be taken off an intentional attempt to run out the batter if a direct hit deflects off the stumps.
- A team can take two strategic time-outs of 2 minutes and 30 seconds in duration in each inning.
- Six Powerplay overs will be implemented where only two fielders will be allowed outside the 30-yard circle.
- The team with the most number of wins will go through:
- If still equal, the team with the highest number of bonus points;
- If still equal, the team with the highest net run rate;
- If still equal, the team with the most number of wins over the other team(s) who are equal on points and have the same number of wins;
- If still equal, the team with the highest runs to wickets ratio throughout the tournament;
- If still equal, the team with the highest wickets to runs ratio throughout the tournament.
- In a match declared as a no result, run rate is not applicable.
- Each Captain can nominate 13 players to take the field before the toss. After the toss, each captain has to take the big call of selecting their final playing XI as the two left-out players will automatically become substitutes.