India vs Australia: 5 Biggest Controversies
1) Sachin Tendulkar vs Glenn McGrath: the most controversial decision Sachin Tendulkar was given out on zero when he was ducking into an attempted bouncer from Glenn McGrath. But the ball did not bounce as high as expected, skidding through and striking the Indian skipper on the shoulder as he was crouching down. Umpire …
1) Sachin Tendulkar vs Glenn McGrath: the most controversial decision
Sachin Tendulkar was given out on zero when he was ducking into an attempted bouncer from Glenn McGrath. But the ball did not bounce as high as expected, skidding through and striking the Indian skipper on the shoulder as he was crouching down. Umpire Daryl Harper hesitated for some time and then finally raised his finger. This decision raised many controversies as most of the commentators, cricketers and former cricketers believed that the benefit of doubt should have been given to the batsman.
2) Sourav Ganguly vs Steve Waugh
In 2001, Sourav Ganguly continuously arrived late for the toss, leaving Australian captain waiting for him in the middle. Steve Waugh also wrote in his biography about this incident. Waugh wrote that Ganguly did this intentionally. However, Sourav Ganguly still says that it was unintentional. But, the kind of competitor Ganguly was, Waugh’s claim can be true too.
3) Monkeygate, 2008 Sydney Test
The controversy between Andrew Symonds and Harbhajan Singh is arguably one of the biggest controversies in the game of cricket. Symonds alleged Harbhajan of being a racist. Harbhajan was accused of calling Symonds a monkey. The matter went to the court and Sachin Tendulkar was called as a witness. The matter became so big that the Indian team threatened to call off the tour.
4) Virat Kohli’s “middle finger” response to the Aussie crowd
Virat Kohli is a very aggressive man, and he is not the one to back off. During the Sydney Test in 2012, the Aussie crowd sledged Virat Kohli when he was fielding in the deep. Virat Kohli tried his best to stay calm, but the Aussie crowd didn’t stop. Finally, Kohli retaliated with a middle finger gesture. Kohli was fined 50 % of his match fees.
5) Gautam Gambhir vs Shane Watson
How can a list of controversies not feature Gautam Gambhir? Gautam Gambhir was at the end of Aussies sledging in their tour of India in the year 2008. Gambhir elbowed Australian all rounder Shane Watson while taking a run. Gambhir, who was in a great form in that series, was banned from playing in the next match.
By The Cricket Lounge