India’s head coach Rahul Dravid rubbished the rumors that the BCCI has been stopping Virat Kohli from attending press conferences amidst all the outside noise surrounding him during the ongoing 3-match Test series against South Africa.
On Sunday, while attending a presser on the eve of the second Test match against South Africa, Rahul Dravid said that the Indian Test skipper has been held back so as to allow him to speak to the press in a grand way ahead of his 100th Test match, which will be in Cape Town from January 11.
Well, there were rumors that Virat has been banned from speaking to media after his explosive presser that had put the BCCI and Sourav Ganguly in trouble. For the unversed, Virat Kohli dropped a few bombshells on the BCCI. Virat refused the claims of BCCI president Sourav Ganguly regarding the captaincy shift by clarifying that he was not been spoken to previously about the change of captaincy.
However, when Dravid was asked about Virat Kohli’s absence from the pressers, the head coach cleared the air by saying:
“Nothing like that,” He added: “I was told Virat is just being held back from press conferences for now because he has his 100th Test coming up in Cape Town. If he addresses the press then, it can be a big event. The reporters can ask him questions about his 100th Test then. You can celebrate him then. As far as I know, there is no other reason he is not here.”
“It’s not like he has not been speaking. He is very involved in the game, and in between the games… he has interviews during the Test, toss and all that. He will speak to the media before his 100th Test,”
Meanwhile, having sealed the ongoing series with a 1-0 lead, Virat Kohli’s men will take on South Africa in the 2nd Test with an opportunity to become the first-ever Indian team to win a Test series in South Africa.